Role: Volunteer Music Assistant
Role type: Voluntary (travel expenses paid)
Hours: 1-2 hours per week
Soundmix is a small dynamic charity, running music workshops for young refugees and asylum seekers in London. Those young people are usually unaccompanied minors, have suffered trauma and are excluded from mainstream life and education. Our workshops are designed to promote social inclusion, to improve psychological wellbeing and core skills and to develop musical ability in a fun, safe environment.
Purpose of role
We run a successful (and very popular!) weekly workshop in Croydon in partnership with The Refugee Council and Children in Need. We are looking for energetic volunteer musicians able to play the guitar and/or drums and help us deliver our Croydon Project. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Assisting in facilitating creative music workshops for young refugees.
• Running games/warmups/exercises
• Helping the young people on an instrument, 1-2-1 or small group basis
• Assisting the tutors in setting up equipment for the workshop
• Ensuring young people have the support they need during the workshop
• Encouraging the young people to be involved
• Helping participants to write lyrics/create melodies on their instruments
• Creating new ideas for workshops/projects
• Attending training suitable to your role.
• Opportunity to gain experience with young refugees and asylum seekers
• Develop musical teaching skills
• Use music in a therapeutic way/community setting
• Receive relative training
• Travel costs will be covered
• Gain experience in creative project planning
• Knowledge of music
• Ability to play the guitar and/or drums
• Experience working with young people
• Good communication skills
• Speak another language particularly Farsi, Arabic, Pashto, Albanian.
• Play more than one musical instrument
• Drive a car
• Experience working with young refugees
• Experience/knowledge of a variety of musical genres/styles
Please send a covering letter and CV to Sasha Leacock (Project Manager): email@example.com. Deadline: 24th November 2017.
All individuals will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation.